Please note: you must be a verified teacher to leave feedback for a student in your class. Feedback can only be left on programming levels in CS Discoveries and CS Principles courses.
You can leave feedback for your students on programming levels in CS Discoveries and CS Principles courses. Students will be notified of the feedback you've left when they login.
Leaving feedback for your students
To leave feedback for students, do the following:
Step 1: Go to the level you wish to leave feedback on, open the blue teacher panel, and then click on the student’s name you want to leave feedback for.
Step 2: Click on the "Feedback" tab which is near the Instructions area of the level. You can use the Teacher Feedback box under the Feedback header to leave specific notes or feedback for each student.
On select CS Discoveries 2019-2020 skill-building levels, there are also digital rubrics in the Feedback tab that you can use to evaluate how well students have demonstrated mastery of key concepts.
Step 3: Once you've entered your notes, make sure to hit “save and share” to send the feedback to the student!
Tips & Tricks:
- You can run the student’s code from the level view to evaluate its correctness. If you want to change the student's code to demonstrate something, use the "remix" version to copy their code, make your changes, and then use the "share" button to get a link to the changed project. You can share that in the teacher feedback box so the student can see (and run) your suggestions!
- Programming levels also often include exemplar solutions for teachers to reference - look for these in the blue teacher panel.
- You can use the black arrows to the left and right of the student's name in the blue teacher panel to move forward or backwards through the list of students in the section. This will be faster than scrolling through the list of students if you're trying to grade an entire section at once.
- You can update your feedback for a student on a level as many times as you want, but students will only see the most recent feedback you've left.
Viewing the feedback you've left for students
You can download all the feedback you've left on a Unit for a specific class section as a CSV.
To download the CSV for a unit, do the following:
Step 1: Go to the Assessments and Surveys tab of the teacher dashboard and select the section you want to view feedback for.
Step 2: Select the unit you want to view feedback for from the first dropdown menu ("Select a course or unit"). Then choose “All teacher feedback in this unit” from the “Select an assessment or survey” dropdown menu.
Step 3: Click "Download CSV of Feedback" to get a csv of feedback you've left for that unit!
Can my students see the feedback I leave them?
Yes, students get notified about new feedback when the sign in! Check out this support article for more details.
Want to learn more about assessing student work?
Check out these resources:
- Assessing and checking student understanding in CS Discoveries and CS Principles
- Does Code.org notify students that they have new feedback from their teachers?
- CSD Guide to Assessment
- Why do my students’ bubbles turn green in CS Discoveries and CS Principles even if they don’t have the right answers?
- Rubrics in Code.org courses
- Viewing student progress